Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Creating 3D Outside of the Computer - Part 2

This week I've been working on the time consuming task of cleaning up my bronze pieces. This usually consists of sawing off sprues (which I absolutely would not believe how many times I break saw blades), polishing, assembling and applying patinas.

This final project was the most challenging one I've done this year. I think I tend to think bigger than my abilities, which isn't a bad thing, but it can definitely end up challenging my current abilities. In this case, I decided to make a brace that I could wear, which involved more fabrication than I've ever done (though considering I've never really done any, that's not saying much.

After I sawed off the sprues and polished, I got to do two things that secretly terrify me: brazing and drilling. Thankfully I had a lot of really invaluable help from the awesome people in my class. As much as I would have liked to avoid those tasks, they were vital to getting the finished product I wanted.

Here's some close up shots of the work.

A huge, huge, HUGE thank you to everyone who helped me undertake this pretty ambitious task. Thanks to Yvonne, Shanna, Andrew, Justine, and Laurel for all your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment